Mascara: How To Get The Best Of It
Choosing a mascara can be daunting with so many brands and desired end-results, depending on the look you are going for. What’s more, believe it or not, some women do not know how to apply it properly to get the most of out it. It is one of the most essential items in your makeup bag with approximately 70 per cent of women who use it regularly. By making the lashes look longer, darker and thicker, mascara defines the eyes, and makes the whites look whiter. It also enhances and flatters the lashes, adding impact to your eyes.
1. Get A Head Start With Eyelash Serums
Holding the wand horizontally, start from the root of the lashes and stroke upwards. Allow to dry and repeat, as desired. Holding the wand vertically, apply to the lashes at the corner of the eyes and along the bottom lash line
Recommended Eyelash Serums
Harnessing over 145 years of Japanese beauty wisdom and enriched with arginine to help restore the condition of hairs. BUY
With a blend of root stimulating ingredients, the mascara not only enhances eyelashes but gradually grow lashes. BUY
Packed with peptides. conditioning actives and multi-vitamins it can be used with extensions. BUY
2. How To Apply Mascara
- For easier, smear-proof application, start with the lower lashes. Hold the wand vertically and use the tip only to coat one lash at a time.
- Starting with the top lashes, lower your gaze until the upper lashes are as far away from the brow bone as possible, looking down at a mirror.
- Apply the mascara using the side of the brush. Push the lash down into the bristles, dividing and coating each one.
- Roll the wand along your lashes, both topside and underside, from roots to the tips. The rolling action helps to deposit the mascara evenly on the lashes and prevents clumping.
- Use double application for added emphasis.
- Tip: To add extra thickness, apply a lash treatment which gives the illusion of strong voluminous lashes.
Smudge-proof and ultra-rich, lasts up to 12 hours, lifting lashes adding length and definition.
The slim easy-to-handle applicator makes quick work of reaching even the smallest hairs across your lash line.
Lightweight, ultra black formula with an exclusive flat-to-fat brush to lift, define and curl lashes. BUY
The nearest thing to brush-on lash extensions, this innovative, clump-resistant formula coats each lash. BUY
3. How To Effectively Remove Mascara
An ordinary cleanser is not formulated to remove mascara so invest in a good fragrance-free eye makeup remover. Waterproof mascara – ideal for those with oily skins or perspire heavily – is not readily soluble. Use a oil-rich remover to prevent tugging at the thin skinned area around your eyes.
No matter what eye remover you use, hold it in place with a cotton pad, over your closed eye for approximately 30 seconds before gently rubbing. Never leave mascara on overnight, which will allow dirt to cling on and get into your eyes. Furthermore, the mascara itself can be become an irritant. The result could be puffiness, or worse.
4. Product Care
Mascara must be airtight to last. Every time you pump the wand in and out, more air is pushed in and reduces its lifespan.
You can extend its life by unscrewing the top, pull out the mascara and wipe off the excess off with a tissue.
Never scrape it off the top on the narrow neck of the container, as this is where the clogging starts and bits end up on the mascara wand each time you use it.
This may sound wasteful, however it is more hygienic and will save you money in the long run.
To restore dried-out mascara, run hot water over the container making sure it is screwed tightly shut, or place on a warm radiator for a few minutes.
5. Do Not Be Afraid To Experiment With Colour
Do not be afraid to try different colours. Be careful which colour eyeshadow you use with the coloured mascara. There should be some co-ordination of colour between the lashes and the eyelid.
Black, brown, mauve and navy blue shades look great on dark skins. Light purple and light blue can look unnatural on their own but looks fabulous with a dark lip colour such as black.
Main image: Imaxtree