As part of the Kickstart scheme, KOL Social is looking for a Website Development & Support Assistant with passion, drive and enthusiasm to join the web development team to support the delivery of our websites and apps.
KOL Social is a cultural magazine for people of colour. A voice for diverse groups, the quarterly publication is committed to sharing the experiences and perspectives of Black, Asian and Ethnic groups from around the world. A combination of stunning photography and ground-breaking stories, the KOL Social provides lifestyle, entertainment news, reviews and social commentary. It is sold in retail outlets in the UK nationwide as well as from the website.
The primary function of this department is to build secure, cutting-edge websites and apps using the world’s most trusted technology, and also support our clients with hosting and website care. The role will be varied supporting across KOL Social clients and projects with:
- Updating WordPress websites using CMS
- Uploading content as part of website build projects
- Assisting with the ongoing development of software and coding standards
- Participating in quality control activities such as testing user acceptance testing
- Assisting with creating websites that look good and convert well.
- Assisting with updating existing websites.
- Assisting with project management of website builds
- Communicating regularly with other team members.
- Communicating via email and telephone with clients, when required.
- Assisting with basic support to a wide range of clients with the day to day running of their websites and hosting.
- Support with improvements and maintenance of our internal websites/systems.
- Management of tasks on Trello
Working within the Development team, the role offers the opportunity to gain knowledge across all departments, covering:
- How to code in WordPress and WooCommerce
- How to build email templates (MailChimp)
- How to use Content Management Systems
- Hosting & Website Support Services (security threats, plugins etc)
- Project and Time Management
- How to User Acceptance Test
- Different forms of testing (mobile/desktop)
- Managing clients and communication
- Understanding website deployment
- Our approach to SEO optimised websites (Yoast)
- Our approach to designing websites and apps
- Creation and management of sitemaps
- Implementing Google Analytics and reporting on performance
- Website performance reporting.
- 25 hours per week
- Office opening hours are Monday-Friday (9am-5.30pm). Contracted 25 hours will be split over the 4 days.
- National Minimum Wage rates apply.
- 6 Months Kickstart Scheme
- Candidates must be in receipt of Universal Credit and eligible for the Kickstart Scheme to apply: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/kickstart-scheme.
- You can also find out more information on the kickstart scheme from your work coach at Universal Credit.